Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rx pride


I have had a lot of pride in myself that I have not had to take any long-term prescription drugs. I have had more than one person’s share of skeletal problems, but I have been blessed to have lived this long without having to take a lot of medicine.

My neurosurgeon told me during a visit last year about another ruptured disc in my neck, and I sighed and told him that I was falling apart. He reassured me that my bad back and neck were serious-enough problems, but I should be very happy because I did not have anything that would kill me! Actually, that was comforting and I have often repeated that to myself when I talk with friends and family who do have things that will kill them.

But, I still don’t like taking medications, so I have resisted taking pain pills after surgeries and toughed it out—maybe that is pride also?!

As I have shared with you on this blog, I have had difficulties with the urgency to “go.” It has been especially unbearable as I lie on the table in the gantry and try not to have an accident (that’s what we say about puppies, so I assume it is OK for me to say that here). I don’t care what others say about that urge, “oh, it is just in the mind, and you have to get control of your thoughts” or something like that. It doesn’t matter what I try to think about or try to control mind over matter, I still can’t get over that urgency. Shifting would help, but that is forbidden.

Finally at my weekly doctor’s visit on Thursday, he asked me if I would be willing to take some medication to help with this problem. Silence. My pride kicked in and I said I would have to think about it; then, practicality trumped pride. After 10 seconds of thinking about it, I said that I was willing to try anything to help this situation to be ameliorated. I left his office with two prescriptions and feeling a bit defeated.

I had an early morning treatment yesterday, and I came out of the gantry feeling like a new man. That medication was wonderful. Pride lost…Rx won.

1 comment:

Jim Tilton said...

Dear Larry:

I need some of those pills that overcome pride.

Love,
Jim