Thursday, April 12, 2012

1 of 28

Our first visit today at the Proton Therapy Institute was with Keri, my nurse case manager, followed by a visit with Dr. Hoppe, my radiation oncologist. I will have a weekly visit with these two people during my treatment plan. Dr. Hoppe reviewed the treatment that he has prescribed for me using bone scan images of the pelvic region. The science is so precise that they can predict the area that will receive 100% radiation and the scope of the area that will receive no radiation. The objective, of course, is to radiate the cancer cells while doing minimum damage to the vital body parts around the prostate gland. My first treatment was at 1:30pm, and it took much longer this first time as they had to adjust the gigantic machine to properly perform its function (more on that at a later date). The radiation therapists play some music of the patient's choice during the treatments, and I chose bluegrass. It was a little difficult to concentrate on the music as one of the therapists prepared me for the "ballon" that stabilizes the rectum during the zapping. That is not easily described on a public blog, but let's just say there is no modesty in these treatments! The therapists leave the gantry during the short period of radiation, and I don't actully know when the 40 seconds of radiation enter my body. Interestingly enough, I could not feel the radiation entering my body, but I most definitely felt the presence of the Lord during this time. I was reassured that this body is not mine, but it belongs to the Father. My job is to be a good steward of this body and use it for His glory. The prayers of so many family and friends who are supporting me during this time enabled me to experience JOY during this first treatment. Thank you for walking alongside me. Treatment 1 down---27 to go!

9 comments:

AJ said...

So proud of you, Dad, for trusting and for your joyful attitude. You are ao loved! Thanks for posting.

David Bishop said...

LC, thank you for the update. Carolyn and I are praying for you and Cheryl as you walk through this together – that you will continually feel God's presence as you described today. Bish

Jim Tilton said...

We love you Larry!

Jim, Penni, Nate, Josh, and Anna

Brian Harper said...

Praying for you ... thanks for keeping us up.

mcbar said...

Well done Boss! Cindy & I are praying for the best medicine. After all, He created it . . . for His glory!

Eddie Cox said...

Thankful to God for His blessed hand on your life as He walks with you during these days... Love ya!

Kimberly Cox said...

LOVE YOU LOTS!!!!!!!

PatandKen said...

Larry and Cheryl,

Ken and I will be praying. We leave for Italy tomorrow and will be thinking of you every day. Maybe we will see the Pope and ask him to pray too! We love you.

Pat and Ken

Kelli said...

Sounds like all is going well! Love you and praying!!