Tuesday, February 18, 2020

He knows all

As I was lying on the hard polymer/metal “bed” in the radiation gantry today for my treatment, I was thinking about all the technology involved in giving me three 20 second bursts of proton therapy. Radiation oncologists, physicists,  and other medical personnel calculated the exact dosage of proton radiation that my affected area needs, the correct angles, the amount of time—all according to my position on the table and my involuntary breathing. 

In the basement of the building where I get my treatments is a giant machine that costs $150 million. This cyclotron is 220 tons of metal shaped like a hockey puck. The cyclotron’s magnets and electric fields can accelerate subatomic particles to 60% the speed of light. It fires the protons through 100 yards of computer-guided piping into four treatment rooms. 

While I lie on my bed in my treatment room, a 100 ton motorized gantry is controlled by the metrics set up for my treatment. The whole gantry spins around to adjust the machine to send protons to my salivary gland from three different angles. All of this is guided by three radiation therapists specially trained for this technology. 

Lying there today, I was impressed by all that education and training of the medical staff and all that expensive equipment that was designed and built by some very smart people. Moreover, I was overwhelmed by the fact that I am allowed to have a personal relationship with an omniscient Heavenly Father who makes all this possible. Thank you Lord! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! That is some amazing tech and knowledge, but our God is even more so! Thanks for sharing this. Becky and I are praying for you.