Thursday, February 13, 2020

Real men cry

While we were living in Richmond, Virginia, a mutual friend introduced me to  Dr. Walter Mills and his wife, Sue, in 2002. We were not able to spend much time together until a couple years later when we moved to Georgia. By that time Walter had retired after a lifetime of helping people through his practice of dentistry. After retirement, he helped Sue and their daughter, Lori, with Sue’s interior design company. 

Over the years Walter and I have become close friends. I am the oldest of three boys, and I never had an older brother. I have often referred to Walter as my big brother. Walter had his third stroke and has been hospitalized for the past eight days. His mind is sharp but his left side is paralyzed. 

The Lord put me in Atlanta for my proton therapy at this time so that I could help take care of Walter and Sue. Sue has not left Walter’s bedside, so I have been taking care of their pets and things at their house during the week while I am in Atlanta. I am visiting with them each day, and it is sad to see my “big brother” lying in the bed with a feeding tube, and unable to communicate verbally. 

Walter’s left limbs are not functioning, but his right hand grip is still very firm. That’s the hand that has taken care of thousands of his patients in over 40 years of dentistry. As I stood there today holding his hand, I told Walter that when I grow up I want to be like him. He wanted to communicate with me, but his words would not form with his mouth. But, he communicated completely. He started crying. I started crying. Our hearts were in tune and the communication was clear.

Walter will be 89 on Monday. 

1 comment:

Sherry Smith said...

Isn't it just like God to time your "visits" to Atlanta so you can help your friends. I know you are a blessing to them during these days.

Sometimes love fills up my heart and runs down my cheeks.