Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Receiver

When Cheryl and I returned to the states in 1980 from West Africa, our goal was for me to get a degree in agriculture so we could return to the field as agricultural missionaries. Our leadership in West Africa had told us that we could not be given an assignment in agricultural work unless we had an agricultural degree. I was not happy about having to return to the states to go back to school for another degree, especially since I grew up on or around the farm all my life.

Nevertheless, we were determined to stay in the states as long as necessary to meet that requirement. I was going to be a full-time student, and Cheryl was going to be a full-time mother of three small children. We didn't know exactly how we were going to feed those three small children since we had to go on leave of absence from the mission board. But, like He always does, God provided.

To make ends meet I had a variety of jobs. I worked on Mississippi State University's sheep farm during the week. As much as possible I spoke in churches on weekends and received honorariums from those generous people. I raised goats and lambs for 4-H club projects. I bottle-fed Holstein baby calves. We were living on a friend’s farm so I was able to do some truck farming. For those of you who do not know what truck farming is, I raised seasonal vegetables to sell to wholesalers in local farmers’ markets. Jeremy and Jason still tell people I was a slave driver because I only paid them fifty cents a bushel for picking peas. I thought I was rather generous to give him any money.

For six months we were living frugally, but we were very happy. Cheryl and I often refer to this time as some of the best in our lives because we were totally dependent on the Lord to provide for our needs. It was in the sixth month that we received some of the best news that Cheryl and I have ever received. Our home church, First Baptist Church, Vicksburg, Mississippi, had funds left over in their budget after their fiscal year. They sent us a check for $10,000! I will be eternally grateful for that very generous gift. My mentor, Dr. John McCall, was pastor of our home church at that time, and he was largely responsible for leading the church to help us.

Throughout those two years of studies in Starkville, Mississippi many people blessed us by giving us financial resources to help support our family. During this period of time Dr. McCall helped me to understand a very valuable life lesson. I was having a problem receiving these gifts. I was proud. I did not want people to see our family as needy.


I never had a problem with being a giver because my parents raised me to be generous to other people. But, I had a serious problem with being a receiver. It was Dr. McCall who showed me how important it is to be a good receiver as well as a good giver. He explained to me that in order to be a Godly giver I needed to learn to be a Godly receiver and accept gifts from others because of the blessing that the gift would be to me as well as to them. That was a huge spiritual marker in my life.

Today I was talking on the phone with Dr. McCall. There was sadness in his voice as he explained to me how he is having to depend on so many people to help him now. His back is injured, and his knees are worn out, so his faithful wife, Vicky, and others are helping him. I reminded him that he would be 95 in a couple weeks so it's time for other people to wait on him! Then he told me how difficult it is for him to allow others to serve him. After 43 years the mentee becomes the mentor. I reminded him of how he helped me with a life lesson many years ago and how he showed me the necessity of being a good receiver of grace and kindness from others and giving the glory to God. The Scripture teaches us that it is more important to give than to receive. Yes! However, many of us would be better givers if we were better receivers of love and grace from our brothers and sisters in Christ.

1 comment:

AJ said...

What a dear and sweet man! Will and I were talking about this the other day. We are overwhelmed with the generosity of friends surrounding the wedding and really desire to be generous with our time, money, and encouragement. It is definitely harder sometimes to receive the gifts than to give them, especially when you feel like they are so unbalanced. God is so good to us through the kindness of our friends and family.