Saturday, June 9, 2012

I, my, me and mine

We don’t have to be taught how to use the words “I, my, me and mine.” Have you ever thought of that? How many times have you seen a parent trying to teach their child these words? As parents and grandparents we drill our kids over and over to teach them fundamentals of our language. How many times do you have to say “thank you” before they finally catch on to the meaning. Those first person singular pronouns just come naturally.

I was talking with one of the graduates of IMPACT 360 yesterday. He has finished college and is now working with another of our worldview programs, Propel My Life. He told me that he learned something from his dad who learned something from me. I certainly had no idea of what he was talking about, but he refreshed my memory. A few years ago Cheryl and I were with his mom and dad at a MLB game, and in our conversation his dad was talking about his ministry and was saying “my program” and “my staff,” and I interrupted him and said that those were not his programs, but they belonged to many other people also. I told him that he should be saying “our program” and “our staff.”

Thinking about it now, it was rather rude that I said that. But now that I know it helped my friend I am happy I did it. Now my friend is reminding his children of the same principle: use we, our, and us more often than the first person personal pronouns.

A pet peeve of mine is to hear people referring to their work or ministry as if that person was the only one involved in the effort. Have you ever heard your pastor say “my deacons” or “my Minister of Music?” Have you ever heard your supervisor at work say “my staff” or “I did so-and-so” when you know that it took the whole team to get it done?

Many skills and talents we can master during our lifetime, but working on not promoting me is one that I will work on until my last breath.

To help me, I am regularly challenged by my favorite Bible verse:  ”He must increase and I must decrease.” John 3:30. Plain enuff!

2 comments:

Madelyn said...

Though we both use many "Larryisms" in our lives, this is one of the fundamentals that really stuck.

Kelli said...

Did Jason tell you he was using this one just this week with a new friend/colleague?