Saturday, June 23, 2012

Good deal


You know the old adage: We are not losing our daughter we are gaining a son?

Today is Allison’s wedding day. I really don't feel like I'm losing a daughter. I expect her to be around to help take care of me when I get too old to take care of myself. 

When Will came to ask me for Allison's hand in marriage I told him that I have been praying for him for years. I even showed Will a couple of entries in my journal over the past couple of years where I've specifically prayed that God would send the right man into Allison's life. So I told Will, "You are an answer to prayer!" 

That was in January, and I had just returned from a project in West Africa. I told Will that since our family lived in Burkina Faso for so many years that we still followed some of the customs of West Africa. I explained that it is customary that the prospective groom pays a dowry to the bride’s family. Will is a very quiet young man and he hides his emotions well because he kept a very straight face as I told him the following: “While I was in West Africa a couple weeks ago I gathered information on the current cost of a bride. I learned that the price of a very good wife was four camels.” Will maintained that stoic face.

After a few moments of silence I finally asked Will, "So what do you think about that?" Will responded, “Four camels? That might be difficult." I told him I knew it might be hard to find four really good camels here in Georgia so I would give him grace and allow him to give me four great bicycles. Will works in a bicycle shop and they don't sell those inexpensive bicycles. I couldn't believe it one day when Will showed me bicycles that sold for $5000. So I told him that I wanted four of those $5000 bicycles as a dowry for Allison. He did not blink. He maintained his composure trying to figure me out. But I had a good laugh, and then he joined me. Relief showed in his face.

Will is a very fine young man, and we are very happy to have him as part of our family. Cheryl and I are getting the good deal: we get to keep Allison and we add Will to our family.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

Ah yes. It will be good to have both of them close by. I so wanted to be there for the big day; it seemed like such a happy time. I know you're all enjoying some happy family time but when you're ready for a break, we're still ready for you to come see us.