Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gratitude

When Cheryl and I first learned that I had cancer, we were, as most people would be, shocked. I did not experience the “why me” feelings that I have often heard about. I think part of the reason is that I have already had an experience of “why not me.” Jason was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2000. That was devastating news, and I struggled with the fact that our son had cancer at the age of 27. I often asked God, “why not me?” I wanted to take this cancer from his body and put it in mine. Of course, that is childish thinking, but it was the gut feeling that I had.

After our initial shock we became grateful. That might sound strange, but our first season of gratefulness was because our family doctor insisted that I see a urologist even though my PSA was in the normal range. Then we were grateful for early detection as we were diagnosed with stage one prostate cancer. As we reviewed treatment options we were grateful for having options and the fact that with this stage of prostate cancer, we could choose the type of treatment that we thought was best for us. As we were researching, I was introduced by some friends to a treatment that we had never heard of before—proton therapy. I am grateful for friends. I am so very thankful for friends like those of you who are reading this. On Sunday one of my two best friends from college died. Life is precious, and I am grateful for every day that the Lord gives me to live on this earth.

Treatment 3 went well last night, and I am scheduled for #4 at 9pm tonight. Thanks for your support.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words, LC. We continue to pray for you and Cheryl as you experience the Lord's peace during this season. Psalm 133:1 JDB

Madelyn said...

Thinking about you two and praying this time is all it should be for you. Thanks for pointing us to thanks.

AJ said...

Love all this "we" stuff. :)

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.