Friday, April 27, 2012

Be Still


Treatments one through ten have been rather routine—that is they have all come to pass in a very similar manner. Treatment eleven tonight was not routine. Before each treatment I drink three 8 oz. cups of water 45 minutes before my treatment. This fills the bladder and keeps it off the prostate during the radiation. That is important for quality of life after the treatments. For the past two days I have had more urgency after drinking the water—even before I go into the gantry for the 20-25 minutes that it takes for the prep work, zapping, and post process. When I get onto the table and get all lined up with lasers, I cannot talk or move.

That may sound very simple, but it takes a lot of concentration not to move or flinch even the tiniest bit. When you gotta go so bad you ache, there is no concentration. Tonight the therapists were trying to get me in position for the beam, and all I could think about was what happens if I have an accident. My pelvic bones were quivering and I said out loud, “I am sorry.” One of the therapists said, “When you talk you move and we have to start the alignment all over. Do not talk!”

I tried to concentrate, but all I could think of … yep, you are right! After what seemed a very long time, I finally said, “I can’t do this.” “That’s all right; we will get you off the table now.” I was out of there in a flash and when I had finished my business one of the therapists was waiting to tell me to get dressed, go back in the waiting room, drink water again, and we will come to get you in 45 minutes.

As I walked to the waiting area I was thinking how will I do this again if I have to do the same routine. The Lord reminded me of a scripture that I have talked about a lot over the past 20 years. Often while speaking to groups I would start to quote this verse and ask the group to finish it. I would say, “Be still and…” and the group would almost always say, “know that I am God.” That was all most people would know of that verse. It is often used to remind one that to get close to God, you had to be still. That is very appropriate in our busy world. I would recite for them the rest of the verse: “for I will be exalted among the earth. I will be exalted among all peoples.”

I have used that verse so much to get people to understand the second part of the verse and how God wanted us to share the Good News with all peoples, that I had forgotten the meaning of the first part of the verse. God was reminding me that I could be still if I would remember that He is God. Sounds so simple, but nevertheless it was a big lesson for me. I am so busy. I am working everyday trying to keep up with all the projects that are going on. I have been Martha preparing the big dinner, and I have not been Mary enough, sitting at the feet of Jesus.  

Be still and know that I am God…

Oh, by the way, I made it through the second attempt.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

DAD! so miserable and I can so relate!! With one of our treatments pre-Anabelle, I hydrated with 2 liters of water, then had to wait 2 HOURS for the doctor, by the time she got there and had me ready and in the back they had to stop the procedure because I was crying I was so uncomfortable but I knew how important it was for my bladder to be full and I didn't want to mess anything up- thankfully it was actually TOO full so I got a little relief- whew! I have loved reading all your posts. Praying for you guys. Would love to Skype sometime soon

Kelli said...

DAD! so miserable and I can so relate!! With one of our treatments pre-Anabelle, I hydrated with 2 liters of water, then had to wait 2 HOURS for the doctor, by the time she got there and had me ready and in the back they had to stop the procedure because I was crying I was so uncomfortable but I knew how important it was for my bladder to be full and I didn't want to mess anything up- thankfully it was actually TOO full so I got a little relief- whew! I have loved reading all your posts. Praying for you guys. Would love to Skype sometime soon

Jim Tilton said...

Hi, Larry. I was wondering where I picked up that habit of reciting Ps 46:10. Like in some many other things, it must have been you! This is my first time to the blog. I read all the entries.

I just prayed that your bladder would hold everytime! :)