Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Joy ride

Twenty three treatments done and 10 more to go.

As I lie on the table a therapist gives me my mouthpiece. They wet it with a solution so that it can more easily be placed in my mouth. The  therapists clamp the mask on my face and shoulders, and then they stand at their control station in the gantry, and my table begins to make a quarter turn so that it will be directly in the center of the 100 ton gantry. 

Before the proton therapy begins each day the therapists take X-rays  to make sure that I am properly aligned with the proton machine. Once they are sure that everything is aligned, they leave the gantry and go to  the master control room for that particular gantry. 

Immediately the whole gantry (remember it is shaped like a space capsule—see photos on Instagram LarryCox 354) begins to turn. For perspective the mask is so tight on my face that when the treatment is finished my cheekbones ache from the pressure of the mask. Therefore, I can only partially open my eyes, and to do so is uncomfortable. But I like to open my eyes when the gantry begins its counter-clockwise movement because it gives the sensation that the table I am on is turning upside down and I am suspended in space. 

Each day in my mind I call this my joy ride because it is like a “ride” at an amusement park. I have never been a fan of the extreme joy rides at amusement parks. I’m more of the merry-go-round type of joy ride person.

During my treatment today I thought much about the joy ride that I have had for the past 71 years. God has richly blessed me with family, friends and colleagues. I feel so undeserving of His grace, love, and protection.  

Thank you, Lord, for my Joy Journey. May all that I say, all that I do and all that I think bring glory to You. 

No comments: