Saturday, March 7, 2020

Already there


Yesterday after I completed my 26th treatment, I had to go to the clinic area for a head and neck scan. I finished about 4:45pm. To put this in perspective, yesterday was Friday, and I was in mid-town Atlanta. That spells chaos for traffic. Fortunately, it was not raining because that multiplies the difficulty of moving around in ATL. However, President Trump was visiting the CDC yesterday, so when I exited the parking garage the street looked like a parking lot. I am sure that the president did not give one second of consideration as to what his visit would do to millions of drivers all trying to get home on a Friday afternoon. Why not visit the CDC on a Tuesday morning?

I was only five blocks from I-75 north, and the prospect of making the 85-mile drive in less than two hours looked bleak. Finally, I was able to nudge my car into the mass thanks to a kind person. Ten minutes later I had moved the length of two cars. We were in line to get on the ramp for I-75—five blocks away. I patiently waited for another 10 minutes and still had moved only 100 feet. I was right at a side street that had very few cars on it, so I turned into it only to realize it was a dead end two blocks later.

Wanting to keep moving, I drove in the opposite direction of the interstate, and although traffic was lighter (meaning creeping along), I was driving in the opposite direction from my home. I must stop this play-by-play of my fight with Atlanta traffic and get on with my story!

Anyhow, some of the things you do while stuck in traffic is read all the signs, stare at other drivers and read bumper stickers. A pickup truck with a Mississippi license plate was in the lane next to me, but there were no bumper stickers or decals on the back window. However, these words were painted in big letters on the tailgate: “Though my enemy be all around me, my God surrounds my enemy.”

Those words led me to cogitate on how much I take for granted the fact that the Spirit of the Lord is always with me. Often I hear people praying something like this: “Lord we just ask you to be with us.” or “Lord, would you bless us with your presence among us today as we gather for worship”.  Hey, you don’t need to pray that one because He is already with us.

Thank you, Lord, that you surround our enemies before we even know they are present.

Oh, by the way, I arrived home after a three-hour drive.

1 comment:

Annette Herrington said...

Larry, I'm sorry to hear that you got stuck in all that traffic. Your description reminded me of Mexico City traffic! I'm glad that your treatments are going well. Continued prayers.