Thursday, July 12, 2007

New post


Family,

I am new at this, so hope this works for you to keep up with our house construction.

We are waiting on an engineering report before the county will OK the pouring of the footings. We are not pushing too hard because we don't have a construction loan yet!! Power lines are up and ready to connect to temporary pole and to barn. Need more work on electrical panel inside the barn before we can get inspection passed on the barn.


We have TWO wells: one at house site and one at the barn -- right where the fire ring was. Both wells are 200 feet deep. We are grateful that we got good water in both.


The back fence is finished, and we separated the cows and calves yesterday. There is much baying and moaning between the cows (with swollen udders) and the calves (separated from mommy), and I am sure our neighbor will be glad to hear that sweet music stopped in a couple days. I paid a neighbor to build the back fence. He and his son did it in about 30 hours. If I had continued doing it myself hiring a laborer to help me and taking the same amount of time, I would have saved $180 ONLY. That's about $6/hr for my time. It was definitely a bargain, and I am happy to have it done.
Mom saw this house in northern Maine on our trip and it is very similar to what we are going to build. This one has a prow on the front -- comes out to a point in the middle-- and ours will be flat across the front. I will figure out how to get the plans on this blog site. Where the garage doors are will be bedrooms in the basement.

No comments: