Thursday, January 30, 2020

32 to go

I had my first proton therapy treatment for my salivary gland cancer today. Being an alum of proton therapy, I thought I had this down. However, I realized it’s the other end of my body that’s being zapped so things are going to be different.

After I lie on the table in the radiation gantry, the therapist inserts my bite block in my mouth. That keeps my mouth in an open position and insures that my mouth does not move while depressing my tongue. Sound unnatural? Yes indeed!

I have a custom-made Spiderman mask that they snap down to the table to keep my head from moving. I’ve always thought the Spiderman character must feel very claustrophobic and uncomfortable in his get-up. Now I understand. My cheekbones are still aching from the pressure that the mask put on my face to hold my head in place. The whole process took less than 40 minutes.

Putting this all into perspective, my whining about this being uncomfortable and causing me minor pain has to be balanced with the fact that, hey, they are blasting me with radiation to get rid of my cancer.

I am grateful to the Lord for the provision of this technology as well as all of the staff who are attending to me and for their many years of training and expertise in dealing with whiny people like me.

1 comment:

Ann Kay said...

Larry, I am thankful to be able to be a part of your blogspot. I now know how to pray for you and Cheryl. What you are going through is tough. Just know I am thinking and praying for you all daily and I know many others will be also. You all are loved by so many people!!!
Love Ann Kay