Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Listening and hearing


Cheryl had been telling me that my hearing was not good. I thought I was hearing very well, but after she continued to mention my diminished hearing capacity, I decided to get a hearing test.

During my annual physical I asked the nurse if they did hearing tests and she said I would have to go to a special lab for a hearing test. So, I made an appointment for the hearing exam. The young lady administered the test, and I responded to the commands. When we had finished, I impatiently waited for the results.

She soon came to me with a report. She said, “Mr. Cox, you have perfect hearing.” I couldn’t believe it, and I could hardly wait to get home to tell Cheryl.

Arriving at home I proudly announced to Cheryl that I had my hearing test that day and I said to her: “Guess what! I have perfect hearing.” In a blink Cheryl responded to me, “Then, there is something wrong with your listening!”

Ouch! That hurt. I walked directly into that.

Listen and hear—two very common English words that we use every day. Defining one of these terms is often done by using the other. So, what is the difference in listening and hearing? I can make a case for either in the “which comes first” argument, but I like the difference that Solomon stated in 2 Chronicles 6.

In chapter 5, Solomon and his followers had just finished their great work on the temple and the elders had brought the Ark of the Covenant into the temple. Solomon addressed his people in chapter 6. He declares the glory of the Lord and how the promise God made to his father, David, had been fulfilled with the construction of the temple. This is the prayer of dedication of the house built for God.

I am struck by the message in verses 19-21: “Yet have regard to the prayer of your servant and to his plea, O Lord my God, listening to the cry and to the prayer that your servant prays before you, 20 that your eyes may be open day and night toward this house, the place where you have promised to set your name, that you may listen to the prayer that your servant offers toward this place. 21 And listen to the pleas of your servant and of your people Israel, when they pray toward this place. And listen from heaven your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.

Solomon is addressing God, no less, saying that God listens to the pleas of His servant and His people, and when He hears, He forgives His people. I am sure that there is a lot of theology here that we could debate, but the important thing in reading and meditating on scripture is what we get out of it that makes us a better servant and follower of God. So, here’s what I get that helps me: we do a lot of listening, but not a lot of hearing takes place. How many times has this happened to you: someone says, “Did you hear that?” And our response is “I was not listening.” Lord, as I am listening to the sounds of this day, may I hear You speaking to me. May I listen to my loved ones, friends and colleagues so that I may hear their hearts with mine.”

2 comments:

AJ said...

It's the kind of lesson you would give a child but that we also have to learn over and over again even as adults. We're so preoccupied in our conversations that we can only think of what we want to say next instead of hearing the other person's heart, like you said. That's tough, but so important. Thanks for sharing, Dad!

patri78969 said...

This is great food for thought. OK...I have a question! If you can't hear, can you listen? Jerry did NOT pass his hearing test, but he says he listens. What do you think? Tricia