Thursday, February 28, 2013

Solitaire

I gave Cheryl a Kindle HD for Christmas. She has been using an old Kindle for a few years, and I thought she would enjoy the added features of this latest and greatest. She is really enjoying the much improved resolution as she reads her books, but I have been very surprised at the feature that she uses the most--a Solitaire ap!

We are on a plane together now, and because we changed our flight to catch an earlier flight, we are on the same row, but we are both in middle seats. To make it worse I have this giant of a man in the seat next to me. You know--the kind you see coming down the aisle of the airplane and you are thinking/praying "please don't let him sit by me." Well, he is into my space!

So, I am trying to work on email, and I give up. I look over at Cheryl and she is --that's right, she is playing Solitaire. I am wishing that I had bought her an electronic toy sooner as I see cards dancing all over her Kindle screen indicating that she has won a game, and I hear her say to a seat mate (not nearly as ample as mine), "Three minutes."

I never played Solitaire on one of my electronic apparatuses until I saw how much fun Cheryl was having. It's contagious. I am looking for opportunities to be mindless and play Solitaire on my iPad, but, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as Cheryl does. I get too frustrated. I have a problem with my ap: it does not have a “redo” function. I don't like it when I play a card, and immediately I recognize that I made a mistake and I want to take it back. If I could only take back that card and play another one already on one of the stacks, it would open up that one card that is still face down and I could watch those dancing cards on my screen. But this darn game ap won't let you take it back. It has no element of grace.

I wasn’t able to finish this post on the plane—have you ever tried typing when your head in under the armpit of the guy next to you and his body mass reaches over the armrest? So, I just found out from Cheryl that her Solitaire ap has a “redo” function. I have decided to download her ap—maybe that is why she always scores so much better than me because she has a different ap. Maybe I should rethink this. Playing on the same ap would be apples to apples and then I would not have any excuse for her clobbering me…

I am thinking about all those times when I have said something and I wished that I could take it back. I have hurt people and oh, how bad I felt immediately. Wouldn’t it be good if we were equipped with a “redo” button.

But, we actually have something much better: God has given us an ap of grace. He fills my brothers and sisters in Christ with grace so that when I hurl a missile at someone I love or someone with whom I work, they forgive me and love or like me regardless of my faults.

"I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue." Ps. 39:1a

Thank you Lord for forgiving when I can't take it back. Thank you loved ones, friends, and colleagues for forgiving me when I beat you up with my tongue.

2 comments:

AJ said...

You're thinking too much when it comes to Solitaire! Our app has an "undo" button, but Will and I go for fewest number of moves, so we try not to use it. Don't over-think Solitaire, Larry! But great post, Dad.

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.